Posted on: 22 May 2015
When you work on the computer often, you have plenty of important files that need to be protected. You have two main choices for how to keep these files safe in duplicate or off the main hard drive. These choices are either cloud services or an external hard drive.
The External Hard Drive
An external hard drive is one of the best ways to keep your files safe from viruses or computer malfunctions. These devices connect to your computer when you need to work, but they also can be disconnected when you're finished, allowing you to take your work with you in a safe storage device.
Here are a few benefits of external hard drives that you'll appreciate:
- External hard drives are designed to hold large capacities of information. You could, for instance, purchase an external hard drive with a terabyte of space, which is more than many laptops and desktops have on their in-body hard drive.
- These hard drives help you keep your computer running smoothly. Instead of bogging down your computer with massive video and music files, photographs, or other documents, you can save those larger items on your external hard drive.
- These hard drives are portable, which means you can take your files anywhere you want to go. You can transfer files from your home computer to your work computer by simply plugging your hard drive in.
Another way to keep your files safe is to use a cloud storage system. These systems are beneficial for anyone who wants to keep files in duplicate. The storage system works by uploading your information to the cloud, which is essentially an Internet storage system.
There are many benefits
- Since your information is stored online, it's accessible from anywhere where you have an Internet connection.
- The storage system takes up no space on your system; you don't need extra hard drives or flash drives to use it.
- The cloud is often more secure than a home computer. The information you upload is usually encrypted on upload and then again when it's loaded into the cloud. You'll need passwords and other information to access your documents, keeping them safe from unauthorized users.
These are just some of the many benefits that external hard drives and cloud storage can offer you. Each way to protect your documents is a little different, but they offer you the peace of mind that your information is stored safely. Even if you do happen to lose your documents, external hard drive recovery can be used to get them back.Share